Sunday, March 6, 2011

Family Night: Karate Kid Style

I've been reading Heather's blog for a while. She does something called Family NIght and I've always wanted to start something like it for the boys. Honestly, I was just waiting for them to get a little older. I've learned (mostly from trying organized sports with kids under the age of 5, ha!) that we have much higher expectations than the kids do when it comes to "special" things. Now that David is older, Trey and I both felt he would really "get" that the purpose of the night was for them to know we care about them, love them, and want to spend time doing things as a family that they would love to do! My one goal for the night was for them to have fun and us spend a few hours together as a family. I think it was a success!



It was actually really simple, cost us no extra $, and we all had a great time. The menu was pizza rolls, fruit, and fortune cookies... all eaten with chop sticks, of course!

I made all of us "karate kid" headbands with our names on them. And for the boys, I cut up some of Trey's old t-shirts to make karate outfits. David has worn his to bed and a birthday party since Friday :)!

Even Jacob joined in the fun!

Trey and I both thought Jon looked a little like the character "Johnny" on the original Karate Kid movie...

And Jon ate EVERY bite with his chop sticks! "HI-YA! Momma!"

Yum...



After dinner, Trey did a little karate "lesson" with the big boys while I put Jacob to bed. Oh my! They loved it!

"This is fun dad!" -Jon

They had a great time...

Of course, there were tears... I'm not sure why Jon was crying. Maybe Trey let the boys have a real match and David forgot Jon was only 3?!?


After dinner and karate lessons we all sat down and watched the new Karate Kid movie. It was not as good as the original, but David and Jon really liked it.

Can't wait for the next family night!

No comments: